Public Act 100-0769, enacted into law on August 10, 2018, requires the Teachers’ Retirement System to offer a supplemental savings defined contribution plan to all active TRS members. On January 1, 2021, TRS announced that it was close to introducing its first-ever defined contribution plan, which it referred to as the TRS Supplemental Savings Plan (“SSP”). The announcement can be found here.

The SSP will be implemented pursuant to the provisions of 457(b) of the Internal Revenue Code and will be optional to TRS members. Administration of the SSP will be the responsibility of TRS and Voya Financial of NYC. School Districts will be responsible for withholding member contributions and remitting them to TRS much like the traditional TRS retirement program.

On February 8, 2021, TRS sent out materials regarding the SSP to school district administrators throughout the State. In addition to the materials recently mailed to school districts, TRS has made the following documents available online:

Our office is aware that those materials, and the SSP itself, have created many questions. Whitt Law has been in contact with System staff. TRS is aware there are many questions regarding implementation of the SSP and has assured us that all questions will be answered before the SSP is implemented at the local level.

Whitt Law will provide further information to its clients as TRS issues further guidance. Please contact Whitt Law Senior Attorney Brittany Flaherty Theis if you have any questions regarding the SSP or other TRS-related matters.


This blog/website is made available for educational purposes only. It is not intended to provide specific legal advice to your individual circumstances or legal questions. You acknowledge that your reading of this blog site does not establish an attorney-client relationship between you and the blog/website host or the law firm, or any of the attorneys with whom the host is affiliated. This blog/website should not be used as a substitute for seeking competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state. Readers of this information should not act upon any information contained on this website without seeking professional counsel.