Whitt Law has an experienced team of litigators that maintain a sophisticated and successful state-wide litigation and trial practice. Our litigators are routinely involved in high-stakes, precedent-setting litigation and are experienced in representing a diverse client base in numerous substantive areas of the law. Our practice includes representing clients in matters pending in Illinois state courts, including the Illinois Supreme Court, and federal courts, as well as representing clients in administrative proceedings, before arbitration tribunals and in other alternative dispute resolution forums.
Our litigators have successfully handled numerous types of civil disputes, including those involving high-dollar property tax disputes relating to multi-billion dollar special use properties (such as petroleum refineries and nuclear power stations), complex, high-dollar commercial and contract matters, real estate, construction, partnership, non-compete agreements, financial services and insurance, dealer and franchise matters, product liability, premises liability, fraud, employment, complex tort, and worker’s compensation claims.
Our litigators are dedicated to aggressive and efficient prosecution and defense of our clients’ disputes and employ a comprehensive yet cost-effective discovery and case preparation methodology focused on presenting a compelling and convincing story at trial. Our case preparation includes active client involvement at every stage. Whether in motion practice, in settlement negotiations or at trial, our attorneys are well known and well regarded for advancing our clients’ immediate and long-term objectives. We also have developed a nationwide network of consulting experts to draw upon as the need arises in any number of engineering, financial or scientific disciplines.
In addition, our litigators spend considerable time counseling clients regarding threatened and anticipated litigation in order to avoid or minimize the impact such litigation may have upon an organization. We care about our clients as people and the continued success of their organizations. We understand that public entity and company leaders need to exercise sound judgment when determining whether a legal action should be filed, how to avoid or defend against a legal action, and whether a legal action should be tried to verdict or directed toward pre-trial resolution. In addition to the cost of litigation and potential high-dollar exposure, public entity and company leaders must consider institutional reputation and integrity of brand, as well as issues related to overall economic security. Our litigators are experienced in counseling clients through each of these important and difficult decisions.
Our litigators also have extensive experience handling litigation on behalf of school districts and as a result have developed a unique understanding of the issues and challenges associated therewith. For a more complete explanation of our school district experienceCLICK HERE.
- Successfully litigated over $96 million of property taxes paid by Exelon Generation Company, LLC regarding its LaSalle Nuclear Power Station in LaSalle County, Illinois for tax years 2009 through 2012, resulting in a seven-year settlement agreement providing for $153 million in additional taxes for tax years 2013 through 2019.
- Successfully litigated the assessment and taxation of Marathon Petroleum Company’s Robinson Refinery in Crawford County, Illinois, resulting in a six-year settlement agreement of over $59 million, representing a 160% annual increase for local taxing bodies.
- Successfully litigated $51 million of property taxes paid by Exelon Generation Company, LLC at the Braidwood Nuclear Power Station in Will County, Illinois for tax years 2011 and 2012, resulting in a seven-year settlement agreement providing for $182.6 million in additional taxes for years 2014 through 2020.
- Successfully litigated $27 million of property taxes paid by Exelon Generation Company, LLC at the Dresden Nuclear Power Station in Grundy County, Illinois for tax year 2012, resulting in a five-year settlement agreement providing for $121 million in additional taxes for years 2013 through 2017.
- Successfully litigated $84 million of property taxes paid by WRB Refining, LP at the Wood River Refinery in Madison County, Illinois for tax years 2011 through 2013, resulting in a four-year settlement agreement providing for $90 million in additional taxes for years 2014 through 2017.
- Successfully litigated $79 million of property taxes paid by PDV Citgo at the Lemont Refinery in Will County, Illinois for tax years 2009 through 2013, resulting in a five-year settlement agreement providing for approximately $105 million in additional taxes for years 2014 through 2018.
- Successfully litigated the assessment and taxation of Exelon Generation Company’s Byron Nuclear Power Station in Ogle County, Illinois, resulting in a $123 million settlement agreement for tax years 2008 through 2011.
- Successfully defended an elementary school district in an action filed by the company with the largest fleet of nuclear power stations in the country seeking approximately $6 million in property tax refunds by obtaining a complete dismissal of all claims.
- Successfully defended one of the largest school districts in the State of Illinois in an action seeking injunctive and declaratory relief as well as approximately $1 million in property tax relief, in the form of refunds for taxes paid and exemptions for taxes owed, by obtaining a complete dismissal of all claims and an order requiring all outstanding taxes to be paid.
- Obtained an $11.1 million judgment on behalf of a regional lender in a commercial mortgage foreclosure and breach of guaranty action arising out of a failed property development.
- Successfully prosecuted claims for fraud, breach of contract, and fraudulent transfer on behalf of a school district that discovered numerous irregularities with the fulfillment of procurement orders by a vendor.
- Obtained a $3.8 million judgment on behalf of a financial services company of a big three auto manufacturer in a breach of guaranty action arising out of a failed automobile dealership.
- Successfully defended a civil engineering firm in a wrongful death action arising out of a motorcycle accident that occurred during a resurfacing project on a major thoroughfare.
- Obtained a $1.4 million judgment on behalf of a regional lender in a breach of contract and breach of guaranty action arising out of a non-performing business loan.
- Obtained a $1.3 million judgment on behalf of a national real estate group in a breach of commercial lease and breach of contract action ultimately resulting in a multi-million dollar buyout of the remainder of the lease term by the defaulting tenant.
- Successfully obtained the dismissal of a complaint under the recreational immunities provisions of the Local Governmental and Governmental Employees Tort Immunity Act which alleged negligence and willful and wanton conduct against a school district in connection with serious facial injuries allegedly sustained while the Plaintiff was operating a volleyball net crank during an after school practice. The dismissal was affirmed on appeal to the Illinois Appellate Court, Second District. Allison Leja et. al., v. Community Unit School District 300, 2012 IL App (2d) 120156.
- Successfully defended a manufacturer of household appliances in a high-exposure product liability action seeking both compensatory and punitive damages alleging a defective oven range caused severe burns to a ten-month-old child’s face and arms.
- Successfully defended a Chicago-based cruise line in a negligence action alleging severe personal injuries occurring at Chicago’s Navy Pier as a result of improper embarking and disembarking procedures.
- Successfully defended a large suburban school district from claims of willful and wanton conduct and negligence arising out of a student’s two-story fall while participating in the construction of a new home during a building trades course.
- Successfully defended a suburban school district from claims of willful and wanton conduct and negligence arising out severe ankle and leg fractures sustained while a student athlete was using a trampoline during gymnastic practice.
- Successfully defended a series of cases brought against a manufacturer and distributor of over-the-counter hair removal products alleging severe chemical burns to the skin and seeking both compensatory and punitive damages allegedly caused by defective manufacturing and warning associated with the subject hair removal products.
Whitt Law LLC not only possesses the knowledge and skill, but also the dedication and tenacity, to aggressively represent taxing bodies in matters before local boards of review, the Illinois Property Tax Appeal Board and the courts. The outcome of a large property tax dispute can affect the financial future of a taxing body for years to come. When the stakes are high, Whitt Law is an experienced, persistent partner in pursuing a sound, common-sense solution to your complex property tax matters. If assessment litigation or tax levy litigation becomes a reality or a necessity, contact Whitt Law to discuss your options.